5 Tips For A Morning You LovePublished May 18, 2023 by Sheila Anne Murray
What is your morning routine like? Perhaps you snooze your alarm twice before groaning and rolling out of bed. Maybe your routine is scrolling your phone for 20 minutes to catch up on urgent emails and missed social media notifications. It could be that you hop out of bed, suit up, and go for a trail run.
More often than not, I hear from clients that are dissatisfied with their morning routine. They’ve dabbled with creating a routine but have trouble getting excited about it and (the hardest part) staying committed to it. In my experience, this is a huge opportunity. If you are looking to up-level your life and career, morning routine is the first spot to look to! A consistent morning routine helps us high-achievers achieve our micro and macro goals by starting things off on a high note and injecting our day with energy and inspiration. Since a morning routine has the power to create a positive tone for the day, it increases productivity and focus, reduces stress and anxiety, and improves overall well-being.
The creation and implementation of a routine can be hazy at times so I’m sharing five key tips to build the routine you actually love.
Get clear on your why
I’ve shared a few reasons why I personally think morning routine matters but why does it matter to you? If you found your way to my blog, you’re likely not one for just following the crowd. Don’t create a routine just because everyone else is doing it - come up with your own reason! Here are some questions to consider:
- Why do you want to create a morning routine / uplevel your current one?
- How would it impact your life and day-to-day?
- What would become possible if you had your ideal morning routine nailed down
- How do you want to feel while doing your morning routine?
- Why does having a morning routine relate to your big picture goals?
Not only does getting clear on your reason for creating a morning routine make it more meaningful and personal, it will also help you stay committed to your routine if you ever fall off.
Let this morning routine be uniquely yours! There is a lot of inspiration out there (see what I’ve been pinning lately) but no one routine will work for every single individual and lifestyle. It’s time to let go of the “shoulds” and dream up what could be…
- What are some things I’ve always wanted to try incorporating into my morning routine?
- What actions have I tried before that have worked for me?
- Look back at the things you want to feel - what actions could make you feel that way?
- Without getting lost in the nitty gritty details, what’s possible here?
Add in one piece at a time
Resist the temptation to max out your morning routine straight away! If you set goals that are too lofty or create lists that are too long, you are more likely to quit early. By adding one piece at a time, you’ll be able to notice what’s working for you and sustain your momentum. I often have my clients try one thing that feels different, such as…
- Waking up 30 minutes earlier than usual
- Sitting in the sun with tea instead of on your phone to start the day
- Putting on workout clothes straight away and hopping on your yoga mat
- Practicing a 10 min guided meditation
If it feels fun and is working for you, after a few days add another piece! Don’t be afraid to test and tweak pieces along the way.
Track how you’re feeling
The best way to learn what works for you is doing “mesearch”! This means paying special attention to how you’re feeling as you experiment with your morning routine. Remember that the goal is not to just “do” a morning routine but to achieve the outcome you discovered was important to you in Tip #1. By tracking your routine, you’ll continue with a meaningful process of self discovery and be able to achieve your desired results more quickly.
- What’s working about this routine?
- What’s not?
- What would it be like to add more variety?
- What would it be like to keep it simpler?
- How am I doing toward my original goal of why I’m creating a morning routine?
Keep it simple
There is a fine line between keeping it interesting and overdoing - don’t let your morning routine turn into a chore that you resent! If you are going through a busier or more challenging time than usual, sustaining your morning routine will be vital but you’ll want to be gentle about it. If you are in a season of up-leveling, it’s a great time to experiment with your morning routine and create a process that feels easy and flowing.
Here are some things to consider to keep it simple:
- What would make this routine feel even more effortless?
- What do I need to think about my morning routine in order to feel even more committed?
- What do I need to think about myself?
- How might I be overcomplicating where I could simplify instead?
Remember, this morning routine gets to be yours!
Whether you have tried various morning routines or this is your first time, remember that your routine gets to be uniquely yours. There’s really no wrong way to do it (except, perhaps, not trying at all), so allow this process to evolve along the way. Just imagine all the positive energy and productivity that will await you on the other side of building a morning routine you actually love!
Ready to get personalized support? Book a free coaching consultation with me and we’ll create a unique plan for you that fits seamlessly into your desired lifestyle!